Several artists have had their works sold for extraordinarily high prices, often at auctions. Some of these include:
- Leonardo da Vinci: The painting “Salvator Mundi” was sold for $450.3 million in November 2017 at Christie’s, which is the highest price ever paid for a work of art at auction.
- Pablo Picasso: “Les Femmes d’Alger (Version ‘O’)” sold for $179.4 million in May 2015 at Christie’s.
- Amedeo Modigliani: “Nu Couché (sur le côté gauche)” was sold for $157.2 million in May 2018 at Sotheby’s.
- Gustav Klimt: His painting “Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer II” sold for $150 million in a private sale in 2016.
- Jean-Michel Basquiat: One of his untitled paintings was sold for $110.5 million at a Sotheby’s auction in May 2017.
- Claude Monet: His painting “Meules” from his Haystacks series sold for $110.7 million at Sotheby’s in May 2019.
It’s important to note that these figures can change as new works are sold, and private sales often go unreported, so some works may have sold for higher prices without this being publicly known.